Thursday, December 10, 2009

Neutering incision looks like it came open. Help!?

I'd like to first say that I'm going to contact the veterinarian who performed the surgery tomorrow. I can't do it tonight because of the late hour. I just got both of my 1 year old male cats neutered. I received after care instructions that say to check the incision twice a day for ooze or discharge. I've been checking about every hour or so because I want to be extra careful. In my last check I found that one of my cats incisions looked fine and the other's had a little pink showing. It looks like it came open a little. I was wondering if this has happened to anyone else. Is it very serious? Will the incision need to be reclosed? He seems healthy and the site is clean and free of discharge.



Again, I'm calling the vet tomorrow. This is just to ease my mind for the time being.



Neutering incision looks like it came open. Help!?concerts



Well, I don't have a cat, but a dog. I assume the answer would be the same though. My dog was neutered and he had a small opening like that. The vet said something about the glue used to close the incision sometimes comes undone but that it is nothing to worry about unless it oozes our becomes inflamed. I don't know why your cat's incision opened, but my dog's opened because he jumps up on the couch. Maybe the difference in the way they have opened may be important, though I am not sure.



Neutering incision looks like it came open. Help!?headache opera theater



Get the cat back to the vet, and kick the vets *** big time, that **** is unacceptable, if the vet did that to one of my pets, I,d



neuter them.
well, I couldn't tell you if I thought it came open unless I saw it



but I can advise this:



keep him still as much as possible: no stairs and no rough play



if you see anything beginning to ooze then you can first press a compact on it such as a gauze pad or clean towel, and second pack him up in the car and take him to the animal hospital (most large cities in my area and I'm assuming in yours as well have at least one emergency hospital---if not that then they usually have at least one vet's office where the vet lives on site, for example our vet lives in a house upstairs from the vet office where our cat gets his check-ups)



good luck and I wouldn't worry too much just yet I don't know what you're seeing but from what I'm hearing it could be that the stitches are opening or that he chewed himself or maybe some extra tissue not noticed before...anything really, try to get some sleep, hon!
Relax, it's not a major problem, but kitty does need a trip back to the vet's. Most pets are good about not opening their incision sites, but some are not. The vet may recommend that you purchase an ecollar for your cat to make sure he doesn't end up a repeat offender.



Jumping and playing too soon after the surgery can also cause an incision to come open. Most vets advise that your keep your pet calm or even confined after a surgery, but that is very difficult to do with cats!



The vet will most likely use tissue glue to close the incision and may want to prescribe antibiotics or give an antibiotic injection to be on the safe side.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ltd