Saturday, December 5, 2009

External drive has a problem, usb cable keeps losing signal, I'm afraid i'll lose it all t

What can I do? not in a money mood to buy a new one...



It's a freecom toughdrive...



keeps on losing signal, I never really used the longer cable it seemed easier to plug it directly with the built in small cable.



and it usually says would perform faster on a usb 2.0 port, but it is in one!



and sometimes when it bugs, and I just unplug it, a scren shows up saying, before you can use this drive you need to format it, but its not plugged in, and its useable!!!



can I request a new cable?



I dotn have the money for a new drive, but will get one as soon as I can.



a whole 120gigs worth of stuff is on it and I'm not about to lose it!!!



External drive has a problem, usb cable keeps losing signal, I'm afraid i'll lose it all together. What can Itheatre tickets



Can't tell from the pictures if it has a cable that can be removed. My external drive is simply an old 40GB laptop drive in a caddy I got from newegg. It uses either an A/B USB cable or a USB mini. I had a mini USB cable that would give me fits and I just found a replacement cable on the net for it. I have also noticed that when using my drive on a system with USB 1 it would mysteriously drop connection when transfering large files. It works flawlessly on USB 2.0 however.



If you are handy with a screwdriver, you could always replace the "caddy" I am assuming it is simply and IDE 120GB laptop drive although it could be SATA if it is pretty new. You can find many replacements at:



http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductLis...

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ltd