Thursday, December 10, 2009

How can I get my mom to let me do community theater?

Everyone thinks I'm too smart to do what it is I REALLY want to do. I want to perform. I take voice lessons, my dancing is okay, I love to act and sing, and i've been in a couple shows. I did my highschool's musical and I miss it soooooo much. I've asked about doing local stuff, but my mom won't let me because she doesn't want to drive me. Can i convince her?



How can I get my mom to let me do community theater?binoculars



Try explaining to her the feeling you get when your up on stage taking a bow. Every performer has an inner passion inside of them. A burning fire that can only be fed by an audience. Don't let your mother stand in your way. You are in charge of what you want to pursue. Explain to your mom that this is what brings you joy and happiness in your life. If she doesn't understand try to find a buddy at your school involved in community theater and try hitching a ride with them. If you are still at a loss find a bus schedule in your area. Do this all with your mom's permission. If she can't trust you it could cause some major problems in the future. Good luck and Break-A-Leg!



How can I get my mom to let me do community theater?violin opera theater



Do all the leg work first. Secure a ride, check out the people and know their background so she won't freak out about them being strangers. Then tell her how acting will help you in other areas of your education, like English,reading comprehension, memory, socialization and generally feel happy about yourself and be more self confident. Tell her that if you go into this early in life it will also give you a chance to get it out of your system early enough so if you change your mind you still have time to pick up some other profession. Good luck.
pay for it. or car pool with a fellow thespian.
Find out why she dosn't want to take you. If she really dosn't want to drive you, ask a friend to drive you, or get a car. If she's saying it cuz she think you can do better than theatre, sit down and talk with her. If you can convince her, just once, to take you and she see's how good you are and that that is what you really want to do, maybe she'll turn. Remember that you control your own destiny, not even your parents can tell you what to do forever.
She has a right to say no if you are unable to drive yourself to rehearsals. You are asking her to sacrifice her time which may not seem like a big deal to you but she may already feel overwhelmed with responsibilities. After all, you are already taking voice lessons and I am guessing dance lessons (since you mention that you dance okay).



If you are asking your mother to make this sacrifice for you by driving you to and from rehearsals and then to and from performances, what are you willing to do for her? Are you willing to cook dinner once a week, do your own laundry and maybe even all of the sheets and towels and such too? Are you prepared to give up some of your own time to do things she would normally do so that she can have some time for herself? In other words, if you are going to ask her to spend her time driving you to and from the community theater how much are you willing to pay in your own time?



Either that or you could learn to drive (if you are too young to do so then wait until you are old enough). If this is something you are truly committed to doing in your life then waiting until you can do it for yourself, without the need to ask anyone else to help you, will not matter.
I know our local theater has real celebrites a lot so it's serious business there. My sister was in the christmas production and my mom went with her...my step dad (her real dad) thought it was a pain too to have to go across town etc. but when they drug him along for practice he saw how serious it was, it was a lot of work and she eventually would get something back from it. ie: looks good on your resume and college entrance etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ltd