Saturday, December 5, 2009

Any "voice coaches" with advice out there?

My daughter (just turned 16) has a good, very sweet voice, and has just entered a local singing competion. She's had no formal training-we live in a very small town. She has 3 of the PS2 Karaoke games and does very well on them. I'm not a "stage mom", but I know she can carry a tune, and I want her first stage appearance to be a good one. Can anyone give me some advice on what song would be not too difficult to perform? I'm afraid I'm clueless in that regard. I'd really appreciate some advice on songs on the PS2 Karaoke cds. She likes the country one best, and does real nice on "Independance Day" (her first choice), and "I Walk the Line" (my choice). I'm leaning towards IWTL b/c I assume it would be easier, and b/c I know everyone, young and old, would know it. Also, she does it in a high, clear voice, but on key(pitch?). Independance Day shows more range, I've been told, but I think it would be harder. Somebody who has a clue, please help??



Any "voice coaches" with advice out there?met opera



I would say expand your search for songs beyond PS@ karaoke. No offense, but I hate those things (as most voice teachers probably do). If you don't have access to an accompanist, find song books that include instrumental CD's. Your description of her voice appears to be soprano (although I really can't be certain over the computer), so stick to buying books for high or soprano voice. There are some for country music that you can purchase online or in a music store. Also, expand your horizons and see if there are other songs she likes besides country. Country is cool, but one of the tricks of winning competitions is picking mainstream songs that are identifiable by most OR songs that have some type of classical or musical theater overtone.



If she must sing country music or it is a country music competition, stick to the ones that are crossover. Meaning, stick to the country songs that have made it over to the mainstream audience. Carrie Underwood does have crossover songs, so you could look into her material. Pick something with some power if she can handle it, and if it doesn't cause her to strain. DO some searching and keep your options open. I have judged a few competitions and one thing you have got to remember is some judges are narrowminded (because all of them don't know voice as I do). If they don't know the song or if the song doesn't have some kind of power behind it, she will be overlooked. You don't want that. Find something universal and comfortable in the voice. In the meantime, find a good voice teacher to help. A voice teacher could help her find these songs to suite her voice and help perfect it. If not, talk to her school chorus teacher. Good luck!



Any "voice coaches" with advice out there?movie theatre opera theater



ask the teacher at the school. its unfair to your daughter to ask a group of people who don't know her and have never heard her sing/ i could tell her to sing 3 blind mice
Hello there! My father is a vocal coach and he was a professional singer in Branson MO for about 5 years. I've grown up surrounded by music and I have been to several competitions. "Independence Day" is a great competition song. You want something that will get the crowd going. That's the most important part...please the audience!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ltd