Saturday, December 5, 2009

Can anyone help me figure out why my left ventrical of the heart is only working at 35% rather than

I am 27 years of age



I have recently had a Mitral valve repair due to regurgitation being severe. The surgery took place on the 2nd May 2007, and went very well.



My heart rate has been between 100 and 108 BPM (previously about 80 with the mitral valve problem) and my blood pressure has been lower than usual (120/70) at about 95/56



Two weeks later after attending light physio my blood pressure dropped to systolic 60 and I almost passed out. An ultra sound of the heart was performed at hospital and they the cardiologist stated it was a pericardial effusion (fluid around the heart)



I was told the fluid was normal after surgery however not as much as I had, he also said I had an impairment of the left ventrical. My blood work shows nothing as to why this woud be hapening.



The cardiologist cannot work out why this is...please help, anyone!!!!



Can anyone help me figure out why my left ventrical of the heart is only working at 35% rather than 50%?secure browser



Well, one time I watched a cardiologist do a cardiac cath on an elderly man and we were watching on a screen where the dye is going in to the arteries and it consistently showed a tree shape, then it changed to a cloud shape...the wire or whatever for the cardiac cath went through one of his blood vessels in his heart by accident and it was leaking blood into his chest. I was thinking "What is that!!"...and my mouth dropped open and so did the other nurses' mouths...the doctor got on the phone and summoned his partner...and said "What should I do?..I don't want to be doing open heart surgery on this guy" (and the patient was not completely asleep only on valium)...The partner said "Nothing you can do but wait and see how it goes"...



If it was done at a hospital, you can go to medical records, show ID and tell them you would like copies of your records (labs, test results, surgeon's notes, etc.). If in a doctor's office you can still get copies of your records (they might charge a copying fee).You could also get a second opinion...



Can anyone help me figure out why my left ventrical of the heart is only working at 35% rather than 50%?home theater opera theater



If the cardiologist can't tell you why, I doubt that I can but if you had mitral valve problems for awhile, the ventricle may be stretched or a stiff ventricle, thus lowering your ejection fraction. An echocardiogram would tell your cardiologist this.
Technically speaking, it sounds like you have cardiomopathy (EF %26lt; ~55%) and therefore heart failure. Although this all might be associated with your surgery, it might be that the doctor simply missed the myopathy before performing the surgery and now is at a loss on how to proceed.



I agree with the answerer who suggested a second opinion. Find the best heart failure doctor you can, and make sure they get all your records (get a copy, yourself, for that matter). Heart failure is serious business, and you might need to be aggressive in finding the right doctor, because it isn't that common of a condition. In your situation, with a pericardial effusion, time is of the essence. Don't take "I don't know" for an answer. Find a doctor who sees this stuff on a regular basis.



Good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
ltd